JLEN acquires remaining 30% in Bio Collectors Holdings

4th December 2023 | JLEN Environmental Assets (FTSE 250)

Acquisition of remaining 30% shareholding in Bio Collectors Holdings Limited

JLEN Environmental Assets Group Limited (“JLEN” or the “Company”), the listed environmental infrastructure fund, announces the purchase of the remaining 30% shareholding in Bio Collectors Holdings Limited (“BCH”) for a total consideration of £8.0 million, taking its ownership in the business to 100%.

BCH, through its subsidiary companies, holds the rights and operational assets that make up an anaerobic digestion (“AD”) plant and the Bio Collectors waste collections business. JLEN acquired a 70% interest in BCH in December 2019, at which time, a mechanism was agreed for the acquisition of the remaining 30% following the expiry of an initial holding period.

The AD plant was commissioned in December 2013 and predominantly produces biomethane to be injected to the national gas grid. In addition, the plant has two Combined Heat and Power engines and is accredited under the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) and Feed-in-Tariff (FiT) schemes. The Bio Collectors waste collections business collects source-separated and packaged food waste for the AD plant from a variety of commercial, industrial and local authorities located in and around Greater London ultilising a growing fleet of biogas-powered vehicles.

The acquisition increases JLEN’s exposure to an investment that is expected to deliver attractive returns for shareholders and of which it has direct operational knowledge and expertise. It also allows JLEN to consolidate its control of BCH, creating the potential for JLEN to deliver operational synergies across its portfolio of food waste AD plants.

Bio Collectors and Codford, the Company’s food waste AD plant in Wiltshire, are both expected to benefit from a recent DEFRA announcement stating that separate food waste collections will be required in England for businesses by 31 March 2025 and for all households by 31 March 2026.

Ed Warner, Chair of JLEN commented: “We are pleased with this follow-on investment which we view as value accretive to JLEN’s portfolio over the long term. We view the role of food waste anaerobic digestion as strategically important in not only helping to decarbonise our energy and transport systems through the production and usage of biogas but also contributing to the diversion of waste away from landfill.”

On 8th December Chris Tanner and Edward Mountney, the Investment Managers for JLEN will present an overview of the results and an outlook for the trust.

The session is for professional investors only. If you would like to attend, please email nicholas.peters@fmp-ir.co.uk and I will send you a link to register for the event.

Below is an interview with Foresight Group, the manager behind the Trust who talk us through the highlights from JLEN’s Half Year Report, an outlook and why the case for investment in sustainable infrastructure has never been stronger.