Trident Royalties: Acquisition of Gold Royalty in Australia
Trident Royalties Plc (“Trident” or the “Company”) (AIM: TRR), is pleased to announce that it has entered into a binding agreement with Thor Mining Plc (“Thor”), to acquire Thor’s variable price gold royalty (“Royalty”) over production from the Spring Hill Gold Project (“Spring Hill”) located in Australia’s Northern Territory and operated by private group PC Gold Pty Ltd. The Royalty is being acquired in exchange for a staged consideration of cash and/or equity with a total consideration of 1.0 million Australian dollars (“A$”) (the “Transaction”), of which A$400,000 is payable upon completion of the Transaction and the balance following the satisfaction of certain production milestones from Spring Hill.
An opportunistic acquisition incorporating an attractive transaction structure
- Provides for A$13.30 per ounce of gold produced from Spring Hill (equivalent to approximately 0.5% gross revenue royalty at the current Australian dollar gold price¹·²);
- Covers one mining licence and two exploration licences, with an Inferred Resource of 355,000oz gold and a significant Exploration Target supported by additional mineralisation open both at depth and along strike;
- Accessible via existing road infrastructure, Spring Hill is 28km from a gold mill which has previously and successfully trial-mined a bulk sample of ore from Spring Hill;
- Deal structure provides exposure to upside potential of royalty whilst minimising upfront cost;
- The royalty is uncapped and will benefit from current development work being undertaken at Spring Hill;
- The Royalty is consistent with Trident’s approach to opportunistically acquiring earlier stage royalties which show a credible pathway to monetisation in the short-medium term.
A desirable commodity with indirect gold price exposure
- Precious metals royalties and streams remain attractive to investors;
- Gold recently exceeded US$1,800 per ounce³; with the Australian dollar gold price reaching new all-time highs throughout 2020;
- The Royalty provides exposure to the gold price through organic Resource growth and potential fast-tracking of development in a supportive price environment.
Spring Hill is located within the highly prospective Pine Creek region in Australia’s Northern Territory, which has historically produced over 3Moz of gold across multiple deposits and contains more than 10Moz of undeveloped Resources. Gold contained at Spring Hill is freely leachable via conventional processing methods and contains a material proportion of gravity recoverable gold which is susceptible to low capital cost gravity concentration and leaching techniques.
Spring Hill has a JORC (2012) compliant global Inferred Mineral Resource Estimate of 8.8Mt grading 1.26g/t Au for 355,000 ounces of contained gold at 0.5g/t Au cut-off, as at January 2017.
Adam Davidson, Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director of Trident commented:
“We are delighted to announce the acquisition of an attractive development stage royalty over the Spring Hill Project. The royalty extends our portfolio and provides our investors with exposure to a desirable commodity, produced from an asset located nearby to existing infrastructure and processing facilities in a geologically compelling and proven gold province in Australia. In addition, the royalty is structured such that Trident’s upfront consideration is minimised until particular production milestones are achieved whilst retaining uncapped exposure to the growth of Spring Hill.
“We are very pleased with the addition of the Spring Hill royalty into Trident’s growing portfolio of royalties which seeks to provide investors with exposure to a diversified portfolio of royalty and stream interests over attractive assets. At this early stage we are delighted to have already secured exposure to royalties in iron ore, copper and gold, with a number of additional attractive opportunities currently under evaluation.”
The Royalty is being acquired for a total consideration of A$1.0 million (US$0.7 million), with an upfront cash consideration of A$400,000, of which A$50,000 is paid upon signing binding documentation with the remaining A$350,000 due upon completion of the Transaction. A breakdown of the full consideration is summarised below.
- Tranche 1 – A$50,000 paid on signing of binding documentation;
- Tranche 2 – A$350,000 payable upon completion of the Transaction;
- Tranche 3 – A$300,000 payable following gold sales exceeding 25,000 ounces attributable to the royalty;
- Tranche 4 – A$300,000 payable following gold sales exceeding 50,000 ounces attributable to the royalty.
Tranches 3 and 4 may be satisfied either through the issue of Trident shares or cash at Trident’s election. If Trident elects to issue shares in lieu of cash, the relevant share price shall be determined by reference to the volume weighted average price of Trident’s shares over the five trading days prior to the settlement of the relevant tranche.
The Royalty rate applicable is:
- A$13.30 per ounce of gold sold from the Project where AUD gold price is >$1,500/ounce
- A$5.70 per ounce of gold sold from the Project where AUD gold price is <=$1,500/ounce
The gold price in Australian dollars was A$2,596/ounce as at 13th July 2020.
Completion of the transaction remains subject to approval by Australia’s Foreign Investment Review Board and must be satisfied by 11 November 2020, or such later date as the parties may agree. If Completion has not occurred by this date, then the transaction will terminate and Thor must refund the Tranche 1 Consideration.
Mark Potter, director of Trident, is also a director of Thor. Mr Potter has not taken part in any discussions and has not participated in any decisions relating to the Transaction for either Trident or Thor.
Spring Hill Project
The Royalty is applicable to production from the Spring Hill project, comprising 100% of production from mining license ML23812 which covers 1,035 hectares. The Royalty also encompasses any production from exploration licences EL22957 and EL 28855 which surround the granted ML. Spring Hill is located proximally to an existing gold processing plant and benefits from access to attractive infrastructure.
Spring Hill contains a JORC (2012) compliant Inferred Mineral Resource as set out in Table 1.
Table 1 – Spring Hill Mineral Resource Estimate as of 29 January 2017
Note: Cut-off at 0.5g/t Au
In addition to the Inferred Resources, there is additional gold mineralisation contained within the area of the resource block model but not constrained within wireframes or outside the resource mineralisation wireframes. This identified gold mineralisation supports an Exploration Target as set out in JORC (2012) guidelines.
This Exploration Target has been estimated as a range in terms of depth extension (Depth) and strike extension (North) zones and is set out in Table 2.
Table 2 – Spring Hill Exploration Target at 0.5g/t Au cut-off
The Competent Person responsible for the Spring Hill Gold Deposit Mineral Resource Estimate and Spring Hill Exploration Target is Adrian Byass of Clonaig Consulting, in line with guidelines set out in the 2012 edition of The Australasian Code for Reporting of Exploration Results, Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves (“JORC (2012)”).
Competent Person’s Statement
The technical information contained in this disclosure has been read and approved by Mr Nick O’Reilly (MSc, DIC, MAusIMM, MIMMM, FGS), who is a qualified geologist and acts as the Competent Person under the AIM Rules – Note for Mining and Oil & Gas Companies. Mr O’Reilly is a Principal consultant working for Mining Analyst Consulting Ltd which has been retained by Trident to provide technical support.
The information contained within this announcement is deemed to constitute inside information as stipulated under the Market Abuse Regulations (EU) No. 596/2014. Upon the publication of this announcement, this inside information is now considered to be in the public domain.
¹ AUD = 0.70 USD (13th July 2020)
² USD Gold = $1,817/oz (13th July 2020)
³ Bloomberg Comex Gold (30th June 2020)
Trident Royalty Investors Videos